PS4 Pro is set to release in November while the PS4 Slim will drop in September. I break down the difference between Dolby Vision and HDR 10. Which PlayStation 4 You Should Buy?
Life Hacks + Entertainment News
- Lumen automatically adjusts the brightness without messing around with the temperature.
- Open Hotel Alert Notifies You When Sold Out Hotels Make Rooms Available
- Add a Merge PDF Button to Your Mac's Right-Click Menu
- Castro 2 Is a Podcast Manager that Focuses On Episode-Based Queues
- Be a better Photographer with these free lessons
- Google's Hangouts Extension Operates More Like a Standalone App Now
- FOX Sports GO adds Chromecast streaming and now works on Roku
- Add a Random Button to Netflix With This Chrome Extension
- Is your 4K real or Fake?
- Watch Netflix at 1080p on your laptop
- Narcos Renewed for Season 3 and Season 4 by Netflix
- A list of Netflix Picks that you should be checking out right now
- Plex Can Now Be Your DVR, Record Over-the-Air TV With a Digital Tuner
- The Show Radio Blog is powered by Bluehost. Why? Because they make it incredibly easy to get a new site up and running with their one-click automatic WordPress Blog installation. You can use your Bluehost account to host multiple domains and they provide outstanding customer service. Check outtheshowradio.info/bluehost to get started for as low as $3.45/month, exclusively to my listeners.
- This podcast is brought to you by ProXPN. ProXPN is a VPN service that secures your internet connection against eavesdropping, masks your location, and allows you to access your favorite sites no matter where you live or travel to. With it no one can see the websites you visit or record your online activity, intercept banking details, instant messages, or passwords. Check outtheshowradio.info/proxpn,use promo code “SHORAM” for 20% off of the lifetime of your account.
- This podcast is also brought to you by Audible.com. Audible has over 180,000+ audiobooks to choose from, get your first audiobook Free with a 30-day trial. Check outtheshowradio.info/audiobook for your free 30-day trial.
- Whether you’re looking to publish podcasts automatically or you’re looking for a full suite of tools building your audience, Simple Podcast Press is an absolutely amazing player. Click here to check out Simple Podcast Press Player.
What is HDR?
HDR content on HDR-compatible HDTVs can get brighter and darker at the same time, and show more shades of gray in between. Similarly, they can produce deeper and more vivid reds, greens, and blues, and show more shades in between. Deep shadows aren't simply black voids; more details can be seen in the darkness, while the picture stays very dark. Bright shots aren't simply sunny, vivid pictures; fine details in the brightest surfaces remain clear. Vivid objects aren't simply saturated; more shades of colors can be seen. Here’s some more reading on HDR. Will you have to pay for the HDR patches in the future?
Dolby Vision or HDR10?
The first of the two major differences between Dolby Vision and HDR-10 is that Dolby Vision uses 12 bits per color (red, green, and blue), where HDR-10 uses 10 bits per color. That’s where the name HDR-10 stems from. Dolby Vision at 12 bits is the superior but proprietary hardware specific format
What’s new with the PlayStation 4 Pro?
- 4K resolutions 2160p YUV420 and 2160p RG
- 4K upscaling of games
- 4K video support
- Updated DualShock 4 controller with light strip visible on touch pad and USB data transfer
- Third USB3.1 port on rear of device
- 1TB hard drive space as standard
- Wifi Improvements - 5GB IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac supported (though also available with new Slim model)
- Streaming improvements - Remote Play up to 1080p on PC, Mac, and Xperia, Share Play from PS4 Pro at 1080p
- Share improvements - 4K screenshots, 1080p video, 1080p60 YouTube streaming
What’s similar to the first generation PS4?
- Same games
- Same peripheral support from the DualShock 4 to the PS Camera
- Shared and equal PSN ecosystem, so regular PS4 users can play and interact alongside Pro users with no differences online, and vice versa
- Save data, Trophy and PSN account log-in compatibility between the two systems, with the same user interface
- PlayStation Store will be the same, but expect pages and physical game packaging to list PS4 Pro-added features
- HDR visual support, also available to base PS4 systems through 4.0 firmware update
The first generation Xbox One didn’t give you HDR in a firmware update but Sony announced that every PlayStation 4 will receive the push update of HDR10. Xbox One S does have UHD 4K Blu-ray, 4K video streaming, and HDR for video. Because of all the specs that it packs, the PS4 Pro may be the high-end PS4 for a while.
My Playstation 4 - A 2 TB PS4 receiving HDR10 + 5 Port USB Hub. Internet Only household with 13+ devices on the network. Streaming options include Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Video, NBA, HBO Go, CBS News and a Robust Plex Streaming Library. 4K TV purchase - TBD
Chromecast 4K should support 4K Ultra HD content for the benefit of consumers that have upgraded to TV sets that support 4K content. If Google adds support for 4K to its HDMI dongle, it would beat both Amazon Fire TV Stick and Roku Stick, both of which are similar HDMI dongles, but they don't yet support 4K content. Apple's fourth-generation Apple TV box doesn't even support 4K.